The best festivals and events for women in mountain biking
Do you identify as a female rider, trans or non-binary? Are you looking to get started in the world of cycling or mountain biking? We’ve rounded up our favorite events, organizations, races, and resources to make the sport of cycling fairer for women — and for everyone.
Historically, mountain biking and cycling have been male-dominated sports. But many brands, industry leaders and organizations are changing that, one event at a time.
For 2022, we’ve rounded up some of the best clinics, events, and festivals that actively promote women, girls, trans, and non-binary cyclists in mountain biking.
We’ve listed events by season, date and location so you can find the ones that suit you! Don’t forget to also check out our resource list below.
Women in mountain biking: programs and events
- April-October 2022: Dirt Series ATV Camps are aimed at women and youth in 14 US states and 11 cities in Canada
- April-October 2022: AllRide Ladies MTB Camps are aimed at women and youth at six sites in the United States
- June-Summer 2022: GRiT clinics at Mt. Bachelor Bike Park (group options and private clinics available)
FTW MTB Festivals!
Roam Fest was the first-ever mountain bike festival for women, marginalized cyclists and genderqueer women. The festival aims to build community while riding in world-class cycling destinations.
- May 13-15, 2022: Knoxville, Tenn.
- September 23-25, 2022: Fruita, Colo.
- November 4-6, 2022: Sedona, Arizona.
International Women’s Mountain Bike Day is celebrated annually on the first Saturday in May. Celebrate Women’s Mountain Bike Day wherever you live, wherever you ride.
- May 7, 2022: Group hikes, skills clinics, trail building, and more (remote, multiple locations)
Created by professional road cyclist Ayesha McGowan, the first African-American woman to become a professional road racer, Thee Abundance Summit is a virtual celebration of “black and brown joy in cycling and the outdoors.”
This is the second annual summit, which will include presentations, a keynote speaker and workshops (plus virtual races!). The event (supported by Zwift, Liv and SRAM) notes that everyone is welcome and invited to attend.
- April 1-2, 2022: Online and free (captioned and accessibility features available)
GRiT MTB Festival is a 3-day event in Fayetteville, Ark., for trans, female, non-binary, and female mountain bikers. Dates and details are currently TBD due to COVID-19.
Resources for female, trans and female cyclists
- creak (Girls riding together): A NICA-supported program to engage women and girls/youth in cycling (as participants, coaches and leaders)
- Total Women’s Cycling: Various events throughout the year for the disciplines of cycling and mountain biking
- Bell Joy Ride Program: A free mountain bike group, with eight locations in the United States, Alberta and British Columbia, Canada – 2022 events TBD
- Courtney Williams, The girl on the brown bicyclehosts events and courses and promotes equitable education and access to cycling for BIPOC people
- black girls ride bikes: A Pennsylvania nonprofit corporation operating through a fiscal sponsorship with Players Philanthropy Fund
- Queer Gravel (look for a group ride in March 2022!)
- Indigenous Women’s Tower: A collective for and supporting indigenous/indigenous female, trans, female and non-binary cyclists
- All bodies on a bike: Co-founded by two women in 2020this organization strives to foster inclusive cycling communities (search for Social Rides year-round)
- Outride: A non-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of young people through cycling (i.e. getting children and young people to ride bikes)
- Unbound gravel: Has a man, a woman and, from 2021, non-binary runner categories
- Red Bull’s first gravel race, Rio Grand Gravel in Marfa, Texas (May 7, 2022)
- Diamondback “Eat My Dust” Gravel Purse
- Bead Izumi “We”: Empowering women in cycling and sport
- Liv cycling teams: Liv Racing, The Black Foxes, Liv Ladies AllRide
- Women’s specific bike and bike clothing brands: Juliana, book, wild rye, Shredded, machines for freedom, Cycling out loud, Dirty Jane